Today I am celebrating, making sense of bar models for myself, for my students and with my students. I've taught a long time. I've heard about bar models but hadn't taken on learning about them before I left third grade to teach kindergarten. Now that I'm back teaching second grade bar models became some new learning I needed to figure out.
I'm celebrating -
1. Bar models can help you make sense of a math problem.
2. Bar models do not provide an answer.
3. Bar models can help you figure out what operation to use.
4. Bar models involve reading carefully.
5. Bar models are a sophisticated pictorial representation.
6. Bar models are helpful when working with larger numbers.
I've been wrestling with a resource I have available and got really excited when I could decode some gobble-ly gook and simplify our thinking for some anchor charts to guide our work. I did model the word problems after ones in my resource for some consistency between that and my thinking.
Thank you Ruth, for supporting us in finding the positive in our busy lives.